Wednesday, May 08, 2013

#8 May Blog A Day

Day 8: a piece of advice, anything at all.

Advice? About anything? Maybe I should give myself advice, that would be easier. Maybe.

I should heed the advice I give the boys when tattling is involved "is someone hurt?" And then I can step in. It can be physical hurt or emotional hurt.

I need to remember how great my kids are. A lady at church was telling me she was going to send her daughter over to our house so she could learn to be perfect too. No perfection over here. But it made me think "my boys are pretty wonderful" and I should enjoy them more, awkwardness and all.

Let the little things go. This has gotten easier over the years. Maybe it is because my memory isn't the greatest. But unless my feelings have really been hurt, I don't remember.

Keep up on housework and laundry. I tend to be more motivated by an overflowing laundry hamper and being told at bedtime "I don't have any socks for tomorrow." But I vacuum around the table and kitchen usually once a day, sometimes more, sometimes (if we are gone for most eating) less. Dishes, that is random. Sometimes I am waiting for the dirty dishes. Other times, like today, I need to unload the clean dishes and start loading dirty dishes. But here I am, not doing dishes (I did start laundry though).

Balance. I think it is hard to be happy when all I am doing is cleaning. So if I let the dishes be for a few minutes while I read a couple pages in my book or play with the boys and dog outside or surf the Internet or meet up with friends at the park, I am much happier and it is easier for me to deal with tantrum throwing 2 year old or a teething 1 year old or a sassy, eye-rolling 7 year old or a 5 year old who thinks he is an adult or a 9 year old who really likes reading, especially when he has been asked to do something or when I find out Bryan won't be home and it has been one of "those days."

Side note:
Luke is still sleeping. Isaac and Benjamin have changed "games" many times while I have sat here typing and watching them play. There was riding the car/bike around, playing with a balloon, chasing, pretending to be asleep, wrestling and now they are taking turns laying on a big blanket while the other holds a corner and runs around them in a circle (Benjamin is actually sing-songing "curcle, curcle, curcle" as he runs around and now Isaac is saying "circle, circle, circle" as he is running around). They have tried to go outside but I said they needed to get dressed first. Apparently, they don't want to go upstairs to get dressed.

No comments: