Thursday, July 12, 2007

Money, Money, Money (I know you're singing it)

Big A has become very interested in money lately and we have encouraged it. He likes to carry it in his pocket but I don't. When we are out shopping he tells me he "needs money." I told him I use a credit card, so now he says "I need a card." It amazes me what he picks up on. Last night we went to wash the car and were discussing stopping by Mervyn's to get a shirt for the Nielson/Johnson photo in August. Big A asked "where are we goin', mom?" (a typical question along with "what are ya doin' mom?" while we are riding in the car), I answered him "Mervyn's." He then proceeded to tell me he wanted to go in and Little A too and they needed a card. I asked if they were going in alone but he kept telling me he needed a card.

Earlier this week I decided Big A needed a piggy bank to keep all his money- Papa gave him some over the weekend and his little pile of coins was getting a little too large for me to want just sitting on the bar. We headed to Big Lots- nothing. Next, we went to Wal-Mart- again nothing. I was beginning to think it was the wrong season to get a piggy bank, but what season is piggy bank season? I also just wanted something small and inexpensive (which I failed in both). I told Big A "we can go to Target to look for a piggy bank or we can just go home and try another day." He decided to go to Target. We looked in the Baby section, in the toy section, in the office section, in the wallet/purse section. The next place I was planning on looking was the bedding section but Bryan called and wondered if we were coming home and I explained our dilemma, he told me I should just ask someone. I asked a lady (in the bedding section) and she lead me to the juvenile bedding.

This is the piggy bank we picked out. The boys love it. I have started giving them 2 coins a day to put in the bank. After they put the coins in, they each get a turn "shaking the pig." I am going to open accounts for them and when they get more money we will take a trip to the bank. My Grandma Stewart opened accounts for us and put money in at Christmas. I haven't used the money in that account, I keep thinking I need to save it for when I need it. I think if I really needed it, I would use that money but right now it is nice to know it is there. I want my kids to learn to save and appreciate money and I think this is a start.

8 comments:

mistyp said...

Cute bank and cute idea. I should probably explain more details to Briel. :) She knows she needs the card, but probably doesn't understand that money needs to be in the bank in order to use the card. :) Thanks for the idea!

Unknown said...

Wow! Good for you. I'm not naming names, but I know someone who is 63 and has not a penny saved for retirement. Scary!

Anonymous said...

Karin- go to Target and buy BA a gift card and put $5 on it, let him buy himself and LA a slushy at the food court- the card balance is now $0 and BA can play with it all he wants! (assuming he doesn't loose it you could add money to it occasionally and let him "shop" with it).

My son's piggy bank can no longer accept any money...I keep meaning to go to the bank with him and set up an account but I just haven't done it yet!

Anonymous said...

Much better than the baby food jars my parents used when we were little. Way to go on money lessons. Scott and I have big plans for that when we get rugrats.

Wangsgaard said...

All kids must love piggy banks. Any time Rebekah finds a coin she runs to put it into hers or Elisabeth's.

StepH said...

those 2 r tooo adorable! next time i see them i'll be sure to have some spare change with me :)

Garlic Boy said...

The number one thing all kids should know about money is this: Mommy and Daddy love money more than life itself.

Ann said...

I like Heather's idea about the Target card. we used to give the boys the fake credit cards that come in the mail. They didn't know for a long time that they weren't real.

If I give your boys change, do I get to hear them shake the pig??